The world of advertising has changed radically in the last decade, but what has not changed is the need to present products and services via images and visual narratives.
This postgraduate course is focused on editorial and advertising work, which includes knowledge of design, photographic edition for books and magazines, commercial productions, etc. A personal, solid and attractive work which can make all the difference when persuading customers and commercial agents.
• Offering a vision of current trends in advertising and editorial photography. Putting into practice the tools and knowledge used in advertising photography.
• Presenting the different types of practices in advertising photography
• Reflecting on the role of the photographer in the media
• Understanding the keys to successful advertising campaigns
• Developing a personal project to stand out in the industry with a unique creative profile
• Analysing photography practices in the context of agencies and the media
• Familiarising students with contemporary work methods in the fields of production, the management of a studio, post-production and publishing
• Analysing the challenges and limitations of the market at times of a strong convergence and media publishing.
• Press and media photographer
• Editorial photographer
• Post-production artist
• Photo Editor
• Agency Assistant
• Art buyer
Dates and Schedule
October 2018 - January 2019
19.00-22.30 h (Mon to Fri, 3 to 5 days a week)
- Offer students a view of the current trends in advertising and editorial
- Implement the tools and knowledge used in the photography industry.
- Introduce different modes of practice in applied photography.
- Reflect upon the role of the photographer within the media.
- Experience what it’s like to create a professional campaign that is good
enough to be published.
- Develop a personal project to stand out in the industry with your own
- Examine photographic practices within contemporary media contexts.
- Familiarise students with contemporary working methods in the field of editorialion, studio management, post-production and publishing.
- Analyse the challenges and limitations of the market in times of strong media convergence and downsizing.
- Industrial advertising photographer
- Editorial photographer
- Post-production artist
- Images editor
- Agency Assistant
Ramon Palacios-Pelletier is an American photographer who studied in San Francisco and trained in New York assisting photographers such as Mark Seliger and Max Vadukul. Ramón specialises in portraiture and editorial work. His work includes famous actors, writers, musicians and models.
His work has appeared in: L’Officiel, Liberation, Le monde, Studio/Cine Live, L’Equipe, Madame Figaro, Premiere, Elle, Elle Deco, Psychologies, El Pais, El Mundo, Esquire, Elle, GQ (Spain), Rolling Stone & New York Magazine.
He has shot album covers for, Universal Records, Mercury Records, Sony/BMG and EMI Records.
Born in 1979 in Linz, Austria. He is a freelance photographer whose work has been published in magazines such as Dazed & Confused, Camera Austria and Vogue Luomo. His personal work, such as Land of Milk and Honey (2005) and Brut (2010), is also well known and has been displayed at a range of exhibitions and festivals, such as the Architecture Biennale Venice and the Albertina Museum in Vienna.
He was born in Buenos Aires in 1978. He has worked with the main advertising agencies in Spain, producing work for Coca Cola, Mercedes Benz, Vodafone, Toyota, BBVA, Movistar, Samsung, Repsol, etc. This work has earnt him many prizes at international advertising festivals, such as Cannes, El Sol, FIAP and One Show. His art work has also been highly lauded and has been displayed at international galleries and art fairs, such as SPD – Society of Publication Designers (New York), W-CA Contemporary Landscape Photography Open (UK), Premio Joven de Artes Plásticas de la Universidad Complutense (Spain) and the China 15th International Photographic Art Exhibition.
Carmen Jimenez is an award winning Spanish filmmaker who lives and works between Spain, Mexico and New York. Born in Sevilla, Spain, Carmen started her professional career there producing shorts and developing audiovisual content. She then moved to Madrid to work at the international sales team at Sogecine-Sogepaq. After being awarded a scholarship by laCaixa, Carmen moved to New York in 2008 to pursue an MFA in Directing at Columbia University. She graduated in 2013 with her short film ‘Oasis,’ which was awarded the Jury Honours distinction at the Columbia Film Festival. Carmen has taught Screenwriting at Columbia University and at Tecnologico de Monterrey University in Guadalajara, Mexico. Her work has received the support of festivals and institutions around the world such as the Cinefondation at Cannes Film Festival, Berlinale Talent Campus and the Directors Guild of America.
Ivory Serra has been a photographer in New York City for 15 years. He received an MFA from Hunter College, and taught photography at NYU for 5 years. Serra has been first assistant to some of the biggest heavyweights in the world of celebrity portrait photography. Names like Annie Leibovitz, Philip Lorca DiCorcia, Frank W. Ockenfels , Mark Seliger, Willy Rizzo, Martin Schoeller and Peter Beard have all placed their trust in his vast technical knowledge.
From 2002-2004, Serra was the official photographer for AOL Music. He documented the recording sessions and interviews of 35 or more artists ranging from Robert Plant and Peter Gabriel to Sheryl Crow and Kid Romeo. His photos have been published in a wide variety of magazines including: Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Time, XXL, Revolver, Guitarworld and ID, and featured in various books including Hip Hop Immortals, the Beautiful Losers exhibition book and Full Bleed.
He is the creator of “the unknown artist” studio. He has won many prizes at important national and international festivals such as the PX3 Prix de la Photographie de Paris, the AOP Photographers Award London, the AFP Spain, the Luerzer’s Archive 200 Best International Ad Photographers, the Luerzer’s Archive 200 Best International Digital Artists, IPA, the AOP Open Award London, Cannes, El Sol and Anuncios. He is the second best photographer in Spain according to the 2015 ranking in El Publicista.
Workshop with Ramon Palacios-Pelletier
Fanzine Girls from Today - Andrea Savall
Advertising Photography - IED Master
Photo by Raul Borja Arboleda
Postgraduate Course in Advertising and Editorial Photography
Download PDF Brochure
- Type of course : Postgraduate Courses
- Language : English
- School: Visual Communication
- IED Credits: 20
- Start date: October 2018
- Duration: 4 months
- Timetable : Morning-Afternoon 10am to 14.00 pm. Monday to Thursday. Selected production workshops and Master Classes may include varying schedules.
- Attendance: in-person
- Qualification: Private qualification at the end of the course, when the student will receive a certificate.
- Directed to : Students with photography qualifications, fine arts, media, advertising and communication. Young photographers who wish to specialise in professional photographer. Photographers who work in the sector and want to develop their own style in their professional and personal work.
- Admission process : · Curriculum vitae. · Motivation letter. · Technical photography knowledge (One Year Photography Course of the IED Madrid or equivalent); basic post-production knowledge and familiarity with different audiovisual formats. · Art project portfolio · Personal interview if the management deems it necessary. · In order to take part in the course, students must have their own camera.
- Enrollment rate: 1200 €
- Course Fee: 3000 €