The world of advertising has changed radically in the last decade, but what has not changed is the need to present products and services via images and visual narratives.
This postgraduate course is focused on editorial and advertising work, which includes knowledge of design, photographic edition for books and magazines, commercial productions, etc. A personal, solid and attractive work which can make all the difference when persuading customers and commercial agents.
- Offer students a view of the current trends in advertising and editorial
- Implement the tools and knowledge used in the photography industry.
- Introduce different modes of practice in applied photography.
- Reflect upon the role of the photographer within the media.
- Experience what it’s like to create a professional campaign that is good
enough to be published.
- Develop a personal project to stand out in the industry with your own
- Examine photographic practices within contemporary media contexts.
- Familiarise students with contemporary working methods in the field of editorialion, studio management, post-production and publishing.
- Analyse the challenges and limitations of the market in times of strong media convergence and downsizing.
- Industrial advertising photographer
- Editorial photographer
- Post-production artist
- Images editor
- Agency Assistant
Ramon Palacios-Pelletier is an American photographer who studied in San Francisco and trained in New York assisting photographers such as Mark Seliger and Max Vadukul. Ramón specialises in portraiture and editorial work. His work includes famous actors, writers, musicians and models.
His work has appeared in: L’Officiel, Liberation, Le monde, Studio/Cine Live, L’Equipe, Madame Figaro, Premiere, Elle, Elle Deco, Psychologies, El Pais, El Mundo, Esquire, Elle, GQ (Spain), Rolling Stone & New York Magazine.
He has shot album covers for, Universal Records, Mercury Records, Sony/BMG and EMI Records.
Artist & photographer
Born in 1979 in Zaragoza, Spain. He has been awarded with grants in Spain and Latin America such as Ranchito or Casa Velazquez. He has also exhibited his work in both collective and individual exhibitions around the world in places such as Brazil, London or Palma de Mallorca.
Álvaro studied photography at the Art Academy in San Francisco and worked for the New York Times, Leica Photographie International, GQ, Squire, Harpers Bazaar, The International and other international magazines. Since 1991 he has participated in various solo and group exhibitions.
Co-founder of CARMELA
CARMELA is an I+D creative lab based in Madrid that develops visual possibilities for innovation and experimental media pushing simplicity to its most aesthetically powerful limits.
His work explores the uses of story-making, transmedia and the creation of new bodies of literacy and visual grammar trough mixed formats. He is currently working between Spain, Switzerland, Mexico, and Canada.
James Rajotte grew up in Pennsylvania in the US. He studied Geography at Penn State University before obtaining a Master in Fine Arts from the Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, New York. He spent three years as a professor at Rochester Institute of Technology where he taught narrative photography and photojournalism. He now works full-time as an editorial photographer based in Madrid with clients such as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, El País Semanal and many more.
Ivory Serra has been a photographer in New York City for 15 years. He received an MFA from Hunter College, and taught photography at NYU for 5 years. Serra has been first assistant to some of the biggest heavyweights in the world of celebrity portrait photography. Names like Annie Leibovitz, Philip Lorca DiCorcia, Frank W. Ockenfels , Mark Seliger, Willy Rizzo, Martin Schoeller and Peter Beard have all placed their trust in his vast technical knowledge.
From 2002-2004, Serra was the official photographer for AOL Music. He documented the recording sessions and interviews of 35 or more artists ranging from Robert Plant and Peter Gabriel to Sheryl Crow and Kid Romeo. His photos have been published in a wide variety of magazines including: Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Time, XXL, Revolver, Guitarworld and ID, and featured in various books including Hip Hop Immortals, the Beautiful Losers exhibition book and Full Bleed.
Postgraduate Course in Advertising and Editorial Photography
- Type of course : Postgraduate
- Language : English
- School: Visual Communication
- IED Credits: 20
- Start date: October 2019
- Duration: 3 months
- Timetable : Morning-Afternoon 10.00 - 13.00 h (M - F. 4 or 5 day per week)
Selected workshops will take place from 10.00 to 14.00 h
- Attendance: in-person
- Qualification: Private qualification at the end of the course, when the student will receive a certificate.
- Directed to : Students with photography qualifications, fine arts, media, advertising and communication. Young photographers who wish to specialise in professional photographer. Photographers who work in the sector and want to develop their own style in their professional and personal work.
- Admission process : · Curriculum vitae. · Motivation letter. · Technical photography knowledge (One Year Photography Course of the IED Madrid or equivalent); basic post-production knowledge and familiarity with different audiovisual formats. · Art project portfolio · Personal interview if the management deems it necessary. · In order to take part in the course, students must have their own camera.
- Enrollment rate: 1200 €
- Course Fee: 3900 €